Saturday, February 9, 2013

Body Image: Move Over Size 0, Some Women Brag About Fitting Into Kids Clothes

status thing

Yesterday while getting my tooth drilled at the dentist, I overheard a conversation that shocked me. While I've known petite friends who shop in the children's clothing section, I've never thought about kids' clothes as a status thing (as in "look how tiny I am--I shop in the kid's section!"), but apparently it is ...


The woman at the dentist office was recounting a story about a woman she knew who liked to brag about her size, which was in negative territory. What's below a size zero, you ask? Try girls' sizes 12 or 14! Apparently this woman was pretty vocal about her tiny size and how she shopped for leggings and dresses and coats in the kids' clothing sections at department stores. She was really proud of this fact.


Now, I can certainly understand the problem of not finding clothing that fits (yes, you can get a tailor, but they're expensive), and clothing is clothing no matter where it's purchased--from the women's section or baby boutique. But, gals, can we just stop bragging and being boastful about our sizes? Pretty please? I promise, it does nothing for your self image, or those around you.


status thing

We (as in society, peeps) have such an unhealthy obsession with size. It's become such a status thing. I used to know a guy in college who wouldn't date a girl who was larger than a size 2 (no joke--he checked labels of clothing ... insane)--yep, we never dated! And, I've met far too many women who feel compelled to broadcast their size to anyone who will listen, or the reverse, feel shame about their size.


Ugh.


Thoughts on this topic? I guess I'm just feeling a little annoyed and ba-humbug. And my tooth still hurts from the darn filling. Let's discuss--size, not dental cavities.

No comments:

Post a Comment